Monday, August 21, 2006

Preeclamptic Patient on My Watch

Last night ICU refused to admit one of my OB patients - the patient has just delivered her baby via emergency section due to extremely elevated BP. Her BP went down to normal after the operation but the attending felt that the patient still has high risk of having eclampsia. ICU said her BP readings do not warrant a bed there. Then the attending said the postpartum nurses will freak out if the patient has an eclampsia attack because they wouldn't know how to react. The patient ended up staying in the postpartum floor and that's when I started to worry - do I know what to do if the patient throws me a seizure attack? That's when I went back to my call room and started reading up.

Sure enough, nothing happened to the patient overnight. Well, at least I forced myself to study :)

No comments: